Logic Algebra (Second Edition)

Prefer S Dad Guys Some women are enticed by the excitement they believe as if the •JL. whole world's a theme song, being played over and over just for him. S. Paster, co-author of Staying Married: A Guide for African-American Couples. Men and women have a repertoire of ways to attract and engage one another.

Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online To Zeebrugge and Back by Roger Leslie Broomfield file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with To Zeebrugge and Back by Roger Leslie Broomfield book. Happy reading To Zeebrugge and Back by Roger Leslie Broomfield Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF To Zeebrugge and Back by Roger Leslie Broomfield at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF To Zeebrugge and Back by Roger Leslie Broomfield Pocket Guide.

The eldest son possessed qualifications which induced the general officer commanding to offer him a commission. He had served as an officer in a regiment in the first reserve in England, and was qualified by his services for a commission in the Imperial Army. In the second place it was known to the general that the first expeditionary force was to go to Samoa, and his son was a lawyer who had a knowledge of constitutional law and practice and he was qualified for the special service on the stall which was required. He had the civil knowledge in which the military officers were necessarily deficient, and the commission was offered him without the speaker's knowledge and so far as he know without any recommendation from the Minister for Defence, who did not, as a matter of fact, interfere in the appointment of any of tho officers.

His only remaining son was a sergeant-major in the same regiment in which his eldest son had been serving, and he was offered a commission by the Imperial War Office in England without any reference to the present Government or to any official of the Government. He was satisfied the War Office did not know that he was in any way related to a member of the New Zealand Government.

He believed also that the commission offered to Captain Bell was without the recommendation or knowledge of any member of the Government Corporal Ryan is well-known in this district, having been prominent in football and athletics. The list subjoined is tentative and subject to amendments and additions.

Tayler was first on the list of the overseas candidates. Over old boys of the school are serving outside New Zealand. Captain Oliver STEELE, of the Royal Berkshire Regiment, was killed in action in Belgium in October; he was a thorough soldier, and had served in the Boer war, and his name still stands in our sports programme as the holder of one of the school records.

He has just left to join his regiment at Sheerness. He came to England to continue his studies as an architect, with the object of attaining his A. During the summer vacation he joined the camp at Bulford, so that he might continue his officer's training, begun in New Zealand. While there, war was declared, and he at once offered his services. He has been in France since 24th September. Orbell, of Waikouaiti. Valentine Masefield, of Akaroa, whose death at the front was recorded about a fortnight ago.

On 24th October Major Masefield was second in command, as well as still commanding his own company, short of officers, and of his death on that day his captain writes: - "It was in the trenches of A Company. We had been fighting hard for five days, and D Company had lost all their officers except one, so at 12 o'clock I was taken from A to go to D Company trenches. I said good-bye, and he took my seat.

It was there, at about 4. Deceased was 29 years of age. He was a student at Otago University, and went Home nine years ago to complete his medical studies. He secured his final diplomas a month ago, and volunteered for service. Captain Watts was well known in Nelson, where for a number of years he was a student at Nelson College. He joined the Eastern Extension Cable Company in ; but left in to re-enter Nelson College for the purpose of studying for a commission in the Imperial Army.

This he was successful in obtaining in During his time at Nelson College, he held various positions of importance, and was Head of the School in , and captain of the First XV in that year. When the war broke out he held a commission in the 2nd Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment, stationed at Malta.

His death will be regretted by a large circle of friends in Nelson and other parts of New Zealand. The following is the most complete list, exclusive of those whom I have already reported in "Personal Notes," that I have been able to compile to date: - Colonel A. Lieutenant D. Lieutenant R. Second Lieutenant J.

Sergeant C E. Sergeant J. Lieutenant H. The two sons of Mr. Patrick Kinloch Cameron in the Black Watch. Major A. Lieutenant Dr. Lance-Sergeant R. Captain J.

Immediately after the No. Sergeant Trent alluded to the whole-hearted and enthusiastic way in which Lieutenant Stuart RAMSAY had given himself up to his work with the platoon and asked him to accept a copy of the resolution passed on parade last Wednesday, together with a wristlet watch as a small memento from the platoon. The resolution read as follows - "That the No. We recognise all that he is giving up and the sacrifices that he is making to bear his part in upholding the honour of our Empire, and wish him all success in his career and a safe return to this Dominion.

The 1st Kings Dragoon Guards, in which Captain Gardiner served originally, is well represented in camp, there being no fewer than four ex-members of the old regiment at Trentham. An active service postcard from 'somewhere in France or Belgium' was received at Wednesday's meeting of the Auckland Education Board. It was in the nature of an answer to a letter which the secretary had written to a former member of the Board's staff of architects with reference to his resignation. An active service card is manipulated something like a ballot paper.

There are a number of printed lines, and the soldier strikes out those which do not refer to his case, leaving those which do. The Board decided to write, congratulating Lieutenant Gibb on his appointment to this famous regiment. He is now on active service with the 3rd Division of the Field Ambulance. Writing to a friend in Napier, Dr. Wilson lays stress on the arduous times they are going through, stating that on one occasion he had only three hours' sleep in three days.

He served in the Army for several years, and was with his regiment in India at the outbreak of the war. At the time of the above incident no fewer than five brothers of the Torrie family had answered the call of the roll. In consequence of this promotion, just when the Contingent was about to set out for Egypt, he was instructed to attach himself immediately to the West Yorks at Belton Park, Grantham. He has been an officer of the Imperial Army, and did good work in the Boer war, where he saw much activity. Sneeton of this city, has been gazetted a second lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery.

Smeeton and his family were in England when war broke out, his son promptly volunteered for active service. Ernest Roberton, of Auckland, who served in King Edward's Horse for two years prior to the outbreak of the war, has been awarded a commission in the Imperial Army. He has been posted to the Ninth Service Battalion of the Gordon Highlanders, and when the last mail left London was proceeding to the Camberley Military College for training.

The shrapnel wound in his hand has almost healed, and with other battalions of the Royal Naval Division he shortly expects to be sent to the front again. Major Freyberg is in the Hood Battalion of the 2nd R. N Brigade. Gundry, of Christchurch, who holds a commission in the 5th Devon Regiment, No. Mr William A. Mr Gray left Auckland with the New Zealand contingent for the Coronation, and since then has spent most of his time at sea.

He has now joined G Company at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, where he is undergoing a three-months course of study, it is his intention to take up a commission in the Imperial Army and go to the front, with the hope of finally obtaining a transfer to the Indian Army. Donnelly, of Taradale, has received a cable message from England stating says the Hawke's Bay Herald that his grandson Mr Derrick PERRY , who has just passed his examination for the navy, is seriously ill at Osborne owing to an attack of pneumonia. Mr Marshall, along with several other graduates of the Royal Veterinary College, Edinburgh, had offered his services to the army before war broke out, and immediately on that momentous event he saw service in the great military camp at Aldershot, where for some time four train loads of horses arrived daily, and each animal had to be inspected by a veterinary surgeon.

Mr Marshall holds the rank of lieutenant in the Imperial army, and also fulfills the duties of censor to the regiment to which he is attached. Mr Ferguson qualified for a cadetship five years ago, and rendered good service in the Napier operating room for some time. About two years ago he joined the Australian wireless company in which service he gained rapid promotion. In December he threw up a lucrative wireless appointment to enlist. Mr Bardill was a saddler at Weber, and at the outbreak of the war immediately volunteered for the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

He is a man of fine physique and a good rifle shot, but unfortunately has a defect that debars him from serving his King - he is blind in one eye. Mr Bardill was not satisfied with one rejection. He tried again, but the Defence Department, while sympathising with him regretted to have to permanently 'turn him down. He disposed of his business at Weber, and booked a passage at his own expense for England with the determination of enlisting in Kitchener's army.

If at Home the medical test again disqualifies him, he has expressed his determination to go across to the Continent and get into the firing line with either the French or Belgian array. Mr Bardill has two brothers at the front, and as he is a good man with a gun he does not see why through his physical defect he should be deprived of fighting with them.

Mr Bardill boarded the train with all the quietness of a civilian, and no more loyal patriot has left that district. A special meeting of the Waimate Hospital Committee was held on the 22nd says the correspondent of the Christchurch Press to deal with an application received from Dr Herbert Clifford BARCLAY, the hospital surgeon, for an extension of his leave of absence so as to cover 12 months service with Lord Kitchener's Army, in which he was seeking a commission as an officer, and the return to New Zealand, or else till the end of the war.

The position is that Dr Barclay was granted 18 months leave, and there are 10 months still to go. The committee refused the application for extension of leave. The following is an interesting extract from the British Journal of Nursing: - We feel sure New Zealand nurses will rejoice to learn that the four registered New Zealand nurses working under the French Flag Nursing Corps have won high praise from their superiors. We feel sure our numerous readers in New Zealand will rejoice at their success, especially in a service so novel and difficult. Pioneer, and who is a son [? He was mentioned in despatches at the time, and has had the Distinguished Service Cress conferred upon him by the King.

At the time of the Dunkirk bombardment he was on H. Vestal, a sister ship to H. Torch, now in Wellington Harbour. The vessel was in a dangerous position, lying close inshore, and inside the line of monitors, which were shelling the enemy out of their trenches. A German shell disabled a gun crew, and Lieutenant Joyce was struck by two shrapnel bullets. He leaves Glasgow tomorrow and will take up his commission next week. He has quite recovered from the wound he received at Mons, and is back at the front again. Major Williams is a Napier boy. He had been in the thick of the fighting from September to November in the Ypres area.

He returned to London at Christmas time, He also forwarded his mother Princess Mary's gift box of sweets and one of the Queen s gifts, a very neat writing companion. The photos of their Majesties and the Princess are included, together with the Christmas greetings. The late Mr Watt was a young Scottish solicitor, and came out to New Zealand just before the war to visit his sister. He held a commission in a Territorial regiment at Home, and immediately on the outbreak of war rejoined his regiment.

Major Tuckey, states the Otaki Mail, has seen considerable service in Africa, and is at present engaged in dealing with the German disturbances in West Africa. He is in command of the forces allotted for this work. He joined the Imperial army in England, and was wounded, but has completely recovered. He was promoted to his present rank in November, , and since then he has been at the Altcar School of Musketry, passing out with a high percentage of marks. He is at present engaged as staff sergeant-instructor at the school, but he expects to return to the front before April.

He is a lieutenant in the Westmoreland and Cumberland Yeomanry. His father, who was a captain in the navy and commanded a sloop of war during the New Zealand war, married in the dominion, and Captain Luce was born before his parents returned to England. He proposes to join the Royal Flying Corps when in England. Mr Sandford enlisted at the outbreak of the war, and was with the Australian Forces at the capture of Rabaul. He at once enlisted as a despatch rider, and was constantly engaged on dangerous duty, being twice wounded.

Corporal Stuart Johnstone, whose portrait appears in our illustrated pages, was given his name in memory of the late Dr Stuart, of Knox Church, who was the firmest of friends with the young man's father and grandfather. He came over to England to convalesce and has already so effectually recovered as to be returning to the front very shortly. He is now in training at Preston.

Miss Ethel Mary Lewis, a Government nurse from Otaki, who is in England on leave, has been given six months extension in order to go on service in Serbia. He is in excellent health. Bell, has been transferred from King Edward's Horse to the 10th Hussars in which he holds a commission. It is understood that nominations for the 10th Hussars can only be received from his Majesty the King. Regimental Number ] Mr J. I have not been able to ascertain for a certainty which this is but I think from a letter received by a friend from another nurse that it is the one at Versailles.

Three of the sons of Mrs Annie E. Maclean, of Wanganui, and of Mrs Maclean, now of Auckland. Lieutenant Maclean is one of the very few fighting parsons in the English Army. Mr Thomas E. In a letter to a friend in Masterton he states that he does not yet know whether he will accept the commission. Herbert Rawson, of Wellington , who was on the staff of a British hospital ship, has been transferred to No. The council of the institution was so impressed with his ability that it interviewed him and offered him a commission in the Royal Engineers.

He intended to accept it if be passed the medical examination. He was educated at Canterbury College, and work there brought him under Mr Williams's notice. The school has reason to be proud of the large number of ex-pupils who are now away to serve their country. Mr Ollivier was one of the staff of the Pacific Cable Company for some years. He joined the Hon. Artillery Company, and is at present quartered at the Tower of London.

When a battalion on his right was expelled from the trenches he formed his company, under heavy fire, and counter attacked the German right with great determination, and the battalion reoccupied the trenches. Rhodes M. He was a cousin of Lieutenant-Colonel W. Moorhouse of Wellington, and of the late Bishop Moorhouse.

Born in , he was educated at Harrow and Cambridge, and married Miss Linda Morritt, late of Rockeby who is left with a son under a year old. He was a most intrepid airman and was second in the Aerial Derby, and he was the first airman to bring two passengers across the English Channel. When war was declared in August, he was among the first to enlist and was kept very busy at the Royal flying base at Farnborough, where he did good work. Lately he was sent over to France in charge of the workshops Aeroplane Engineers.

His brother Mr Edward Moorhouse , who had a commission in the Royal Field Artillery, has had to leave England for the benefit of his health, and will arrive in Wellington to-day with his brother-in-law Mr Kyle. A cablegram received yesterday by Colonel Moorhouse states that the late Lieutenant Moorhouse exhibited distinguished gallantry, and has been mentioned in despatches. On the troopship he was made ship's quartermaster, and on arrival at Cairo was appointed camp commandant, and then intelligence officer. He was A. He took part in repelling the attack on the canal, and is now on General Brisco's staff.

He leaves on May 18, and will be accompanied by Mrs Wheeler and family. He was recommended for the award by the municipal authorities of Boulogne. SMITH, of the firm of Hamon and Smith, left Gisborne last week says the Poverty Bay Herald , en route to England, where he intends to join his own regiment, one of the artillery companies, with which he saw service in South Africa, and achieved considerable fame as a gunner. Captain G. Private J. Princess Royal, of the first battle-cruiser squadron, has sent to his relatives in New Plymouth says the Taranaki Herald a post-card saying that he is "fit and happy.

The battle of the Bight, August 28, Two of Major Burlinson's sons have already been killed on active service. Miss O'Flynn intends to go straight to the front as a nurse, and has already been cabled for, and has had a station allotted her. The later Major W. He was born on November 26, and entered the Imperial Army in He served in the South African War, being mentioned in dispatches, and receiving the Queen's medal, with seven clasps, the King's medal, with seven clasps, and the D.

He was adjutant of the Lanarkshire Yeomanry. In , deceased married Maud, youngest daughter of the late Captain S. Davenport, 47th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. Walker of Remuera. Lord Kitchener expresses his sympathy. Advice was received on January 22 that Lieutenant Walker had been promoted to the rank of Captain.

His name was mentioned in despatches the following month for gallantry and service in the field. Captain Walker was 25 years of age. Auckland Military District, and now Administrator at Samoa. He was farming at Waipu when the war broke out and immediately volunteered for active service.

He had held a commission in the 11th North Auckland Regiment of Mounted Rifles and was attached as a subaltern to the squadron drawn from that unit for the Auckland Regiment of Mounted Rifles. The deceased's widow resides in Wellington. He was very popular with the staff and children of the Normal School. The battalion is expected to proceed to the front shortly. Carr, of Epsom, will sail by the Niagara to offer his services to the War Office.

Mr Carr was a member of the Expeditionary Force that went to Samoa. Mrs Carr will accompany her son to England. This is the second son of Mr Johnston who has gone to England for the same purpose. His brother Colonel Arthur Bauchop, C. Pettit, of Nelson, who has been stationed at a military hospital at Sunderland, has left England for Egypt to join the military hospital there. The late Corporal MacKenzie, who was about 26 [sic] years of age, was well known in the dominion, having been commercial traveller for some years for Messrs Virtue and Co.

The offer has been accepted says the New Zealand Herald , and Dr Makgill, having obtained leave of absence from the Public Service Commissioner, will shortly leave for England. Dr Makgill has been detailed for special work in the chemistry department, and he will join his uncle, Dr John Scott Haldane, F. Dr Makgill served in a medical capacity with the 2nd Gordon Highlanders in the Boer war.

Mr Inglis was for some time town traveller for Messrs A. Burt, and was a popular man amongst the plumbing trade, which gave him a special send off on the eve of his departure for the Old Country some three years ago. At the outbreak of the war Mr Inglis joined the Scottish Horse, but subsequently applied for and received a commission in the Gordon Highlanders, being appointed second lieutenant. Lance-corporal Williams was born in Timaru says the Herald. He was educated at the High School, Wanganui. Eight years ago he went to Fiji, and last New Year he, with 50 other picked riflemen, went direct to England, and after a short training at Sheerness joined the King's Royal Rifle Regiment and left for the front on March Mr Williams, sen.

After that he followed the military profession. The Council of the New Zealand Lawn Tennis Association has instructed its Management Committee to inaugurate a shilling fund among tennis players, part to be spent on a memorial in Christchurch, Captain Wilding's birthplace, and the balance on Anthony Wilding trophies for the New Zealand championship singles, ladies and gentlemen.

After a year at the Medical School of the Otago University he went to England, and was for some time on the staff of the London Hospital. Then he entered Caius College, Cambridge, where, as at school, he took a prominent part in athletics. Later, at the London Hospital, he held every appointment that could be given him, and had taken his B.

A with honours and passed his M. In October he went to France, serving at Havre and Boulogne. In the latter place he was awarded a gold medal by the French Government for saving the life of the captain of a French fishing boat which had been driven ashore on a rocky coast. Then he went to the front, and was attached to the 2nd Dragoon Guards. He was under fire for several days, and himself brought out the wounded.

Beyond this his family has no further information. He fell on 13th May in the middle of that period, from Saturday the 8th to Saturday the 15th May, which The Times correspondent says is the bloodiest in the history of Western Europe. Lieutenant Chapman was a man who obtained the confidence and love of his many friends, especially at school, at the university, and at the hospital.

When marching through France and Belgium he made the acquaintance of numerous medical and combatant officers, amongst whom was Captain Wilding, who fell a week before him. No one who ever knew George Chapman failed to like him. He never had an enemy. In all things his gentleness and his firmness were unobtrusively but equally apparent. That he had every promise of a distinguished future was apparent to all who knew him. He lived only to be a sacrifice in the great cause which all honest Britons hope will end the foul obsession which threatens the liberty of Europe and the world.

The above school is worthily upholding its traditions in the present national crisis. Four of the assistant masters have temporarily left the school, to serve in the army. In December last two other assistant masters left for military service, Mr E. The places of the four absent masters are being kept open for them, and the trustees are paying them so much of their salary as will make their pay equal to the salary they were receiving at their departure.

At the end of December last there were approximately old boys with the troops in Egypt while, others were serving the Empire on the western front in Europe. Old boys of the Nelson College have responded nobly to the Empire's call, and, according to the report presented at the annual meeting of the Nelson College Old Boys' Association on Saturday evening, over one hundred and fifty have volunteered their services London, June KELLY the oarsman was wounded. He has been able to leave his bed, and is doing well.

He is a son of Mr. Private advice has been received of the death in action on May 24, while serving with the Australian Imperial Forces, of Lieutenant E. Kretschmar [sic], an old Christchurch boy. Deceased, who was a nephew of Mr. Kretschmar, indent merchant, of Auckland, was born at Christchurch but whilst a lad moved with his parents to Western Australia, where he later entered the firm of Burns, Philp and Co. Lieutenant-Colonel H. De Lautour, of Kilbirnie, formerly principal medical officer in the Otago military district, yesterday received advice that his third son, Sergeant Edgar De Latour, has been killed at the Dardanelles.

He served in the eighth New Zealand contingent during the Boer war. Mrs Thomas went over to work in connection with the war, and has already started at the Kensington War Hospital Supply Depot. She is going to the large base hospital at Nevers, south of Paris. His Grace stated that Mother Aubert was, despite her eighty years, in capital health, and was looking forward to her early return to Wellington.

When he left Rome she had volunteered to help the wounded, and was now engaged in this work. He has now been three weeks at Brooklands and has taken his pilot's certificate and been appointed to a probationary lieutenancy in the Royal Flying Corps. He now has a period of three months or so further training before he qualifies for the front.

Before joining his regiment he is attending an instruction class at Oxford. His mother and sisters, Mrs and the Misses Chrystall, have been in London for some time. It is interesting to learn that after eight strenuous weeks of soldiering at the Royal Engineers Headquarters at Chatham Mr Bogle, who is an engineer by profession, obtained permission to sit for, and was successful in obtaining, the A.

He was twenty-five year's of age. A week ago Lieutenant Anderson was granted a few days leave to recuperate after an attack of measles, but was recalled on Thursday last under orders for embarkation. J Allen and his wife and family on the death at the front of their distinguished son and relative - an officer of the Imperial Army, who had died fighting for the King and the Empire. In moving the motion, Sir Joseph Ward said that it was perhaps fitting that he, as Leader of the Opposition, should move such a motion.

There were times when the asperities of political life were somewhat bitter, and party feeling ran high, but under conditions such as the present they were brought together by feelings of sympathy, and it seemed to him proper that they should recognise the fall of a son of a Minister of the Crown at a time when a great war was raging When the rebellion occurred he joined the Union Forces as a motor-cycle despatch rider.

Lieutenant-Colonel and Mrs. Captain Fraser, son of Captain Fraser, of the Stormbird, and formerly in the railway service in Wellington, who went through the South African War with the Fifth Contingent, leaves for the front almost immediately. Bendix Hallenstein, of Messrs. Hallenstein Bros. Fred Pirani, M. Armv Service Corps, and is at present at Park Royal. Major and Mrs. The former has seen some severe fighting in German East Africa, and has been severely wounded in the thigh and hand. His eldest son, Mr.

Lancashire Fusiliers, and is at present undergoing training at Oxford. He is at present in England on holiday leave, and has definitely decided to resign his post and join the forces for the front during the war. He expects to get a commission immediately. Two young Aucklanders, Messrs. Four years ago she entered the Vancouver General Hospital, and was awarded a gold medal for topping the list in her examination. From there she took charge of a hospital in Fort George B. Lieutenant Orbell, who belongs to the Seventh Royal Fusiliers, is, unfortunately missing, and his relatives have grave fears for his safety.

Advice has been received by Colonel G. Lieutenant Campbell was educated at the Wanganui College, and though only eighteen years of age he left New Zealand at the outbreak of the war, having been nominated by His Excellency the Governor for admission to Sandhurst. Sergeant-Major Nicholls was one of the N.

Mrs Nicholls has resided in Palmerston North since her husband's departure. He came to New Zealand as military secretary to his Excellency the Governor. With the despatch of the Main Expeditionary Force to Egypt, he was appointed commander of the general base depot. He was the eldest son of Mr E. Brown, barrister and solicitor, formerly of Wellington, and was born in Wellington about 23 years ago. Both brothers enlisted, and it was through the services of the late Earl Roberts, to whom their mother was related that they secured commissions in the Imperial Army.

Rainsford Brown is a lieutenant in the Royal Flying Corps. Rudolph Friedlander, of Ashburton has received a cable message to the effect that his son Dr. Hugo R. Friedlander has been at Farnham Camp since the outbreak of the war. Otto A. Friedlander, the other son of Mr. Rudolph Friedlander, is at the Dardanelles, attached to No. With Mrs Glenn he leaves shortly by the direct steamer. Yesterday Mr. John Gallie received a cablegram from London from their son, Mr.

Gallie served for four years as sergeant in the Wellington College Cadets, and subsequently in D Battery for a similar period, at the close of which he held rank as sergeant. Before his departure from New Zealand Mr. Gallie was connected with the Union Bank. The following past and present members of the Auckland Rowing Club have joined the Cowan and Sons, Ltd. Queen Elizabeth, has now received a commission in the Royal Navy Reserve, and is going on active service. He will leave New Zealand early this month with a commission as captain.

Commander Freyberg has now been wounded four times. He is attached to the headquarters staff. Mr Beck is a son of Mrs R. Beck senr. He was to proceed to Aldershot for military training on June He was the only son of Mr Edward Melland, formerly of this city, and a grandson of the Hon.

John Bathgate. His parents have latterly been living in Cheshire, England. No definite information as to where he is stationed has been received but it is thought that he is in the vicinity of the Dardanelles. He leaves for England next week. Yesterday afternoon the Hon. Private McNab was an officer in the British Forces in the Boer War, and after the outbreak of the present war he stated that he had already seen something of an officer's life on active service, and wished to see how a private fared, and he enlisted.

Writing to his mother, Mrs M. He had already been out with a draft, and expected to go permanently in a few days. He had just then experienced a Zeppelin air raid, but no damage was done beyond scaring people. Mrs Berry-Pirani's second son writes from the trenches in Gallipoli on a post card made of a piece of cardboard box , stating that he is having a fine time, plenty of work, and "getting quite fat. Lieutenant Voyce is the eldest son of the late T.

Voyce, of Christchurch, and was one of the six members of the New Zealand main expeditionary force who received commissions in the Imperial Army. He was at one time officer commanding No. He served at Dover and at Limerick, acting for three years as scout officer and assistant adjutant. Then he was stationed at Salisbury Plains as galloper to General Drummond, and also as brigade scout officer with General Godley. He was appointed by the latter to the New Zealand Defence Staff in , and was posted to the Canterbury district as brigade major and inspector in infantry training.

Captain Critchley Salmonson was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for splendid service in trench operations at Gallipoli. This morning a cable stated that he had been killed in action. Lieutenant Voyce is the elder son of the late Mr T. Voyce of this city, and was one of the six members of the New Zealand Main Expeditionary Force who received a commission in the Imperial Army. Lieutenant Voyce remained in Egypt, to attend a class of instruction before being drafted into his regiment, until July 7, when he left to join his regiment Worcesters at Gallipoli.

He was at one time officer commanding the No 79 Senior Sydenham Cadets. Subsequently, going to Wellington, he was attached to the Technical College Cadets there. Mr William Read, of Pencarrow Avenue, Mount Eden, has received information that his son Lawrence William READ, who went away with the Second Reinforcements in December last as a private in the the 34th Auckland Regiment has been given a commission in the Imperial army, and has just left for the Dardanelles in charge of a reinforcement draft.

Lieutenant Read who was formerly in the employ of the United Insurance Co. He was 21 years of age last month. Lieutenant Stevenson was born in Wellington twenty-one years ago and was educated at the Terrace School and Wellington College. He also studied in Victoria College and served articles with Messrs.

  • Extremism, Counter-terrorism and Policing.
  • Coisas do Coração (Portuguese Edition)!
  • Features over 36,000 facinating objects..

Izard and Weston, solicitors, Wellington. He was with that firm when he left for the front with the Main Force. The knee is the same one that was injured by shrapnel some months ago. Lieutenant MacLean has lately been flying every day, usually two flights a day reconnoitering, bomb-dropping, and observing for artillery. Three times recently he has had to descend, owing to the German artillery making direct hits on his machine, and on several occasions he has had skirmishes in the air with German machines. The superiority of the British airmen in these duels is largely due to the construction of our machines, which gives a very wide arc of fire for our machine guns, as compared with those of the Germans.

Lieutenant MacLean will probably return to the front early in August. Returning to the Dominion from Samoa, he decided to come to London and try his luck here. Edmund G. He hopes to get into another branch of the service. Wounded: G. Hugh Buckler is having a sad time just now. Her husband, who is an officer in the Imperial Army, is somewhere on active service, and recently she has had reason for very great anxiety. Until it is known what regiments were on the troopship which was sunk last week, many homes all over the Empire will be most sadly anxious.

Mary the Virgin Anglican Marriages ]. Allen Minister of Defence from an officer of high rank. The mixed force with which the Essex Regiment was associated got into a difficult position on June 6 owing to the centre having got too far forward. Some of the troops were bombed out of an advanced trench, and Lieut. Allen and another officer acted "most gallantly" in attempting to check the retreat. They succeeded, but they had to expose themselves freely, and the plucky act cost Lieut. Allen his life. Allen has been making inquiries about the burial place of his son Lieutenant J.

Allen , and has been informed that his grave has been located, and an officer has undertaken to see that the spot shall be marked with a wooden cross.

Read D'Péng vun der Léift (Luxembourgish Edition) PDF

Marchant, ex-Surveyor-general, has received a commission in the Royal Irish Fusiliers. Mr Marchant, who was born and educated in Wellington, was in the Expeditionary Force in Samoa, and on returning he joined the Ocean Accident Insurance Company's staff in this city. He left Wellington for London by the Turakina on June Cablegrams in January announced that the Scots Guards were badly cut up in action, and it was evidently in this action that Private Brookes was either killed or taken prisoner.

Robinson, M. Major Campbell leaves a widow. Campbell, 11th Bart. When war broke out he was in the Federated Malay States, engaged in rubber planting. Returning to England, he obtained a commission and went to the front in March. Born at Hong Kong, China. Resided in Borneo, and Malay States; but returned home to join up, November Dunedin, had been at the front for some months, and in January he received a decoration from the Boulogne Municipality for saving life on the sands there.

After this he was attached to the Dragoon Guards in the field, and it was while tending a wounded soldier in the trenches that he was blown to pieces by a bursting shell. Gained his Blue for football and half Blue for boxing at Cambridge. Joined the R. He arrived in England about five months ago, and within a week he had joined this famous regiment.

Probably in about two months time he will be sent to France. He thinks of returning ultimately to New Zealand. He contemplates a course of work at various London hospitals before returning to New Zealand. He arrived at Plymouth in the middle of May and is now in camp at Shorncliffe, Kent. He expects to remain there for a month or six weeks taking a course of special musketry training; then his battalion will probably go into the trenches in France or Belgium.

Captain Armour has made his home in Montreal for the past few years. While here he hopes to take flying trips to Wales and Scotland to visit relatives. He is attached to the 20th Divisional Train, Major-general R. Davies's command. Mr Douglas recently arrived from New Zealand.

Mr Collett left New Zealand with the first transports on October 16, and came on to England, reaching here on December His idea was to take up aviation, and he won his Royal Aero Club aviator's certificate on January 29 at Hendon. During his month at Hendon he worked as a pupil with the Aircraft Manufacturing Company in order to gain experience, but the weather was so bad for flying that no opportunity occurred to venture in the air until January He then flew for three hours, and showed considerable aptitude in the management of the machine.

He was called to the Flying Corps on February 17, and after further training at the military grounds at Brooklyn and Netheravon he was posted as flight-lieutenant on March He is now under orders to proceed abroad. Lieutenant Collett says that Lieutenant Hammond, the New Zealand flying man, is on service somewhere. She was assisted by other Red Cross workers and by a staff of French orderlies. In three months no fewer than men passed through the home.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Miss Sunderland has now been transferred to a military hospital at Haut-Marne, which is organised and managed by surgeons and nurses from England. It was inspected by the King at Windsor a few days ago. He expects to leave for the front immediately. He has recently been through a course at the school of instruction at Salisbury. Lieutenant Rutledge is an ex-student of Christ's College.

He has been in the trenches for more than a month past. It is not unlikely that before long she will be transferred to one of the transports. Mrs Emerson, who is a qualified nurse, was attached for a while to the military hospital at Millbank. She took up her duties on June 5. Later she may be transferred for service at the front.

He expects to remain until the end of the war. He is among the airmen who cross the German lines for reconnaissance or bomb-dropping once or twice daily, being shelled every time. Twice his machine has been hit, once slightly and once more seriously, as it met with a badly damaged wing. Twice also this young New Zealander has been sent on bomb-dropping expeditions, once dropping 13 bombs and again seven, each time right in the middle of a German camp.

He is thus the first New Zealander to have attained this honour in the course of a few months. Ireland, with the North Irish Horse. The Castle is the seat of Lord Massereene and Ferrard. From what one hears this young New Zealander may consider himself very fortunate to be drafted to a cavalry regiment, in which vacancies at the present are very few. The North Irish Horse will probably be sent to France in a few months. He is in communication with the Admiralty. Captain Blyth obtained his commission last September, and previous to that he was adjutant of the National Reserve in Cheltenham, where he has resided since leaving New Zealand in Dunn, of Peel Forest.

O, 15th Hussars, is mentioned in the list of wounded under date May He entered the army in , receiving his first promotion three years later and his captaincy in From to he was employed with the New Zealand forces. Captain Nelson obtained his D. Wellington , has been invalided to London suffering from a shrapnel wound in the leg.

He has been at the front since August, and came uninjured through the retreat from Mons. He is a son of Captain Garsia, late of Canterbury. Lieutenant Maclean has lately been flying every day, usually two flights a day, reconnoitering, bomb-dropping, and observing for artillery.

Is this page useful?

Three times recently he has had to descend owing to the German artillery making direct hits on his machine, and on several occasions he has had skirmishes in the air with German machines. The superiority of the British airmen in those duels is largely due to the construction of our machines, which gives a very wide arc of fire for our machine guns as compared with those of the Germans.

Lieutenant Maclean will probably return to the front early in August. Otago , is attached to No. Returning to the dominion from Samoa, and finding there were no vacancies in the N. On arrival in England early in the year he applied for admission to the Royal Flying Corps.

He was in charge of the Gazelle, a trawler, mine-sweeping in the North Sea, and had swept over miles in a certain area until he left for the Mediterranean three months ago. Commander Dunn is well known in New Zealand, having been chief officer of the Tongariro and Rotorua, and captain of the Rakaia. Subsequently he was in London, having been appointed assistant marine superintendent of the New Zealand Shipping Company.

Last October he was appointed to special Admiralty duty, and was given charge of the Gazelle in the following month. Quite recently he was congratulated by Vice-admiral de Robeck, Commanding the fleet at the Dardanelles, upon his successful mine-laying off Smyrna. The decoration just bestowed is the long service medal. The latest news is that all three are well. Nigeria Regiment, W. Carmania Hawke's Bay , who belongs to the New Zealand Shipping Company's service, was called up on the outbreak of war and appointed to the Carmania, and he was on board her at the sinking of the German vessel Cap Trafalgar.

Lieutenant Dalby has previously seen considerable service in the navy, and before joining the New Zealand Shipping Company he was on the Pacific Cable Board's vessel, H.

Contributions still roll in, but ladies, where are you?

Last month Lieutenant Dalby was married at St. Pancras Church, London, to Miss M. Middleton, M. On account of the war, the marriage was considerably delayed, and when it did take place there was a gloom over the occasion on account of the death in France, of Lieutenant G. She reached England a week ago. Auckland , who was appointed Lieutenant in the Royal Flying Corps and qualified as a pilot, has, unfortunately, had to relinquish his commission owing to defective eyesight.

Lieutenant Johnston recently got his M. Campbell, Karori, is a marine engineer who has been for the last three years in Singapore, and during the latter part of that period he has been chief engineer of the Straits Settlement Government steamer Sea Mew. He was one ot the Volunteers assisting in rounding up the mutineers a few months ago, when the 5th Light Infantry Regiment murdered many Europeans, and he went through some exciting experiences.

Subsequently he had the satisfaction of seeing 33 of the murderers shot after being court-marshalled. Mr Campbell has come to London to offer his services for the war, and he hopes ultimately to go back to New Zealand. Chapple, R. Cowan's contingent of ladies who have undertaken shell-making at Woolwich. Wellington , has just returned from the Dardanelles, having made a voyage out on the staff of one of the British hospital ships, and thus seeing another of the sides of the wonderful work of the British arms medical service.

For some time he was serving in hospital trains in England; then he commanded the Mount Vernon Hospital at Hampstead. Discussing the care of the wounded from the East, Dr Chapple said he had made a report to the War Office on his observations. In Egypt there was accommodation for 15, cases and at Malta for another ; and it is intended to add beds to the Malta equipment.

Malta, Alexandria, and Lemnos form a triangle, each side being covered by about two days' steam. It has been the practice for the ships to call at Lemnos and fill up with wounded, and take them down to Alexandria or to Malta, where they are disembarked into the hospitals. Dr Chapple suggests that the ships should fill up at Lemnos, and utilise the voyage to Malta for classifying the cases, so as to ascertain which are suitable for taking on to England and which are so slight that they will heal in Malta, or so bad that they should not be taken any further by sea.

They should report by wireless to Malta how many cases they wish to put off there, and Malta should fill up the vacancies in the ship thus created, so that the ship may proceed full to England, thus avoiding all the unnecessary handling and discomfort of embarking and disembarking at one or two ports. The ships are splendidly equipped, and have excellent operating, theatres and every necessary appliance.

As a New Zealander whose nationality was not known to most of those with whom he came in contact, Dr Chapple was greatly pleased to find that the New Zealanders are held in the highest esteem by the other troops with whom they operated. They were invariably singled out for praise. He was killed in France in March. Mrs Hancock has two other sons at the Dardanelles.

Jennings, M. Mr Jennings's other son, Edgar, was recently killed in the trenches in Gallipoli by a bomb thrown from one of the Turkish trenches. At a social in the Dunedin Bowling Club's pavilion on the 1st inst. Here for a while he was detained with many others by the Germans, but the intervention of the American Consul resulted in Mr Croft's son being sent back to London. From there he went to Ypres, where he was stationed for four months, and during the last three months he has been on medical service in Serbia. Parker, manager of the Bank of New South Wales, has left his home says the Poverty Bay Herald with a view to joining the Maloja at Sydney for London, where it is his intention to enter a school of aviation and to offer his services to the Imperial authorities.

The young man, who has proved himself throughout his scholastic career to be one of the district's ablest boys, will carry with him many good wishes, and his future career will be watched with much interest. He distinguished himself by winning a Queen's scholarship at the age of 13 years, gaining marks out marks, and being at the top of candidates for the whole dominion. In at 15 years of age, he secured the maximum number of points in the Government semaphore test.

He has also demonstrated his marksmanship by carrying off the Canterbury match at Trentham in March, scoring 47 points out of 50 at yards. Mr Parker's two other sons are already in training with the Trentham Regiment and the Eighth Reinforcements respectively. General sympathy is felt for Mr and Mrs E. Balcombe Brown, of Wellington, who are now in London writes our correspondent , on the death of their elder son. Lieutenant Balcombe Brown was observing for his battery, when a shell burst over the station and killed him.

noxyzywuqy.ml Dixieland Express

When war broke out Lieutenant Brown was studying at Oriel, Oxford, where he had got his half-blue for boxing. He at once got his commission, and he had an early experience in Belgium attached to the ammunition column of Sir Henry Rawlinson's division, which landed at Zeebrugge, and made a dash to save Belgium from the advance of the Germans, which led to the battles of Ypres.

He was a keen soldier, and looked forward to spending his life in the army. Writing to his father on August 9, Lieutenant Uren said he was well, though he had lost 16 of his men by the explosion of one shell. He was well known in New Zealand as a climber and explorer in the Southern Alps. He made the first ascent of Mount Aspiring and explored the Valley of the Dart. He was a frequent visitor to Waimate where he had many friends. At the outbreak of the war being in the Dominion, he was attached to the 5th Wellington Regiment and went to Samoa with the Expeditionary Force in August He returned to New Zealand early in as he was very desirous of rejoining his old regiment, the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

He reached the Old Country in April, and appears to have been posted immediately and sent on active service to the Dardanelles. He served with distinction in South Africa, and received mention in despatches, and got the Queen's Medal with three clasps. He was appointed honorary captain in the Army in He afterwards lived at Ellesmere, Shropshire, and was a keen supporter of Lord Haldane's Territorial scheme. He was promoted to the rank of major, and was second in command of the 5th Battalion of tho Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

The letter is as follows: - Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, 9th August, Dear Mrs Voyce - It is with deep regret that I have to tell you that your son was killed in action on the 6th inst. We had a very severe attack to make on a strong Turkish position, under very heavy fire, and your son was killed during the advance.

He did his duty gallantly, and is much missed by all ranks. Yours faithfully signed , C. Seton, Major, O. Dr Boyd will leave Mataura on Friday. The deceased was 23 years of age. Remember me uncheck on a public computer. Register to access personalised features. First name. Sign up to the Art UK newsletter. Sort by: Relevance. Map view. Boat with Portholes Fleetwood Museum. Fleetwood Lower Lighthouse Fleetwood Museum. Douglas Kirkaldie c. Grigadale, Ardnamurchan University of Strathclyde. Sandy Shore University of Strathclyde. Coastal Scene Bridlington Library.

Beaufighter v He at Night c. Across the Bows c. The Sail Steam Ship 'W. U at Culmore Point Tower Museum. Dundee from Balgay Hill c. SS 'A. Cornfield with Ricks Tamworth Castle. What's On No. Skigersta Harbour Comunn Eachdraidh Nis. Horatio Nelson — c. Seascape Appledore Library. Coast Scene Victoria and Albert Museum. Herring Gulls and a Black Back c. Watchet Harbour, before c. Quiet Morning s Hastings Fishermen's Museum. Approaching Squall over Fraserburgh University of Aberdeen. Ship 'Acanas' Maryport Maritime Museum.

Maritime Scene Maryport Maritime Museum. Girl in a Sunhat Poole Hospital. Durdle Door, Dorset Victoria Hospital. On the Moorings, Meols, Wirral c. Thought to be Captain Fortescue — c. Triptych New Cross Hospital. West Bay, Dorset Poole Hospital. Ballard Down, Dorset Poole Hospital. Golden Cap Poole Hospital. Portland Crane Poole Hospital. Seafood and Champagne Winspit, Dorset Poole Hospital. Southsands c. Pier Worthing Museum and Art Gallery. Hartlepool, County Durham University of Sheffield. Beach Hut University of Sheffield.

Browse Alphanumerically

Untitled Royal Cornwall Hospital. Trevean Cliffs Royal Cornwall Hospital. Breezy Sea Usher Gallery. Windmill by the Sea Museum of Lincolnshire Life. Derelict Museum of Lincolnshire Life. Seascape 19th C The Bowes Museum. Sea View, Sunset c. Landscape c. The Old Man of Hoy Seascape with Yacht Ulster Hospital. Rocks on a Beach Newlyn Art Gallery. Skua Nature in Art. Set Fair c. The North Shore: Estuary of the Mersey c. In Ballast Usher Gallery. Rocky Shore Gracefield Arts Centre. Godrevy Lighthouse Royal Cornwall Museum. July Evening, Brighton University of Sussex.

High and Dry National Maritime Museum. Hopper Dredger 'Miles K. Burton' Merseyside Maritime Museum. Pier Head, Merseyside Maritime Museum. View of Liverpool, c. View on the Mersey with Victoria Tower —c. Brigantine 'Centaur' Merseyside Maritime Museum.

Roger Broomfield (Author of To Zeebrugge and Back by Roger Leslie Broomfield)

Shipping in the Mersey, Merseyside Maritime Museum. Maryport c. The Lonely Watch c. A Normandy Port c. Sunbather Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art, mima. Death Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art, mima. Last November c. The Harbourmaster's House c. Beach Scene with a Grounded Boat c. Fresh from the Sea c. Showery Weather, St Andrews c. The Haven c. Canute The Fleming Collection. St Michael's Mount Watford Museum. Bright Day, Southwold Hitchin Library. Beach Scene Weymouth Community Hospital. Deal Harbour Lancaster Maritime Museum. Brig Whitby Museum.

Breezy Day Darlington Library. St Mawes from Lanarth c. Whitby High Light Whitby Museum. Whitby from Larpool Whitby Museum. Whaling Fleet Whitby Museum. Sailing Ship Whitby Museum. Wolverhampton Dream Wolverhampton Art Gallery. On the Beach Wolverhampton Art Gallery. Blyth, Northumberland Blyth, Civic Centre. Sunrise, Harris — Government Art Collection. HMS 'Roberts' c. St Monans, Fife Hatton Gallery. Storm Coast Scarborough Art Gallery. Coast of British Columbia c. The North Sea — Darlington Library.

View on the Scheldt Victoria and Albert Museum.